IT Support Specialist
IT Support Specialist
Based: Cambridge, with occasional travel to other sites and event venues
Rate: £23500 – £35500 p.a. equivalent
Basis: permanent; full time, part time, flexible
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity that works to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new skills.
In October 2015 we merged with Code Club, followed in May 2017 by a second merger with the CoderDojo Foundation. Together we now represent one of the largest sustained global efforts to help young people learn about computing and digital making. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
We’ve grown rapidly and now employ more than 120 people across the Foundation and its group companies, with headquarters in Cambridge, offices in London and San Francisco, and a number of remote workers. Our systems are almost entirely cloud-based, with G Suite as our primary platform, and SaaS integrations including Slack, GitHub, Copper, LastPass, and Proofpoint. Our staff work on Windows 10, macOS, and Linux.
We are looking for an impressive IT Support Specialist, based in Cambridge, to provide ongoing first- and second-line support, oversee basic operational issues, and — time and skills allowing — contribute to delivering some key projects to help the team do their work even more effectively.
You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and service-minded, with an aptitude for technology that is backed up by demonstrable experience in technology and support roles. Our team is highly technically competent, so you’ll need to be someone who enjoys working alongside people who understand your domain. This is the perfect role for you if you like what we stand for, have high standards for your own work, and enjoy contributing to a bigger picture.
Operational support (80%)
- Day-to-day support: dealing with support issues and requests from both office-based and remote staff; we use Freshservice as our ticketing system
- Managing and troubleshooting basic services, such as patching, WiFi issues, printer issues, networking, etc.
- Integration and testing of cloud apps, e.g. ensuring Slack is integrated with Google Drive
- Managing machine builds and setup of new laptops and workstations
- Setting up new users: onboarding and offboarding
- Testing and maintenance of basic AV infrastructure (screens, cabling, microphones, and cameras)
- Managing hardware issues and working with vendors
- Maintaining documentation hub for the organisation to store and manage processes
- Reviewing the security of the Foundation and ensuring users are aware of security risks
Depending on your skill set and the length of the post, there may also be the option to work on some key projects:
- Asset and configuration management
- Implementation of a mobile device management system
- Network and email security
Experience and personal attributes
You should be:
- Happy to get out in the organisation, confidently present yourself, and take ownership of issues
- Someone who genuinely gets customer service; you’ve got the essentials covered — listening, empathising, talking at all levels, delivering on promises
- Thorough in your approach, always following up with clear communication and priding yourself on consistent updates and progress
- Unafraid to raise issues or risks with the right people
- Technically competent and keen to work in a cloud-based environment: you should have a thorough understanding of technology, and anything you don’t know, you know how to discover
- Experienced in a technical environment where you have been client-facing and have demonstrated professional excellence
- Confident, capable, and hands-on, with an eagerness for learning and the commitment to get the job done
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days’ annual leave
- Generous company pension scheme with 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance policy
- Investment in professional development and learning
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare or other commitments
- Generous family leave policy
- Cycle-to-work scheme and season ticket loan policy
- Regular organisation-wide maker days to improve your digital making skills
- Monthly all-staff meetings and socials
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee, drinks in all our offices
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 5 pm on Monday 4 February
Initial interviews: Monday 11 February