Location: Oakland, CA, with frequent travel to other sites and event venues
Rate: $60,000–70,000 salary, exempt from overtime
Basis: full-time, part-time, or flexible
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the United States
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a global nonprofit organization that works to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new skills.
In October 2015 we merged with Code Club, followed in May 2017 by a second merger with the CoderDojo Foundation. Together we now represent one of the largest sustained global efforts to help young people learn about computing and digital making. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
We are now looking for a Development Manager to join the growing Oakland-based Raspberry Pi Foundation North America team. The ideal candidate will have experience of nonprofit development, fundraising, and partnerships within a relevant context, with specific expertise in corporate giving, relationship management, individual giving, and event sponsorship. You will need to be highly organized and able to manage relationships with multiple partners. In this role, you will report to the Executive Director of Raspberry Pi Foundation North America, but you will work in close collaboration with your global counterparts to ensure that we are working together efficiently and that best practices are shared across teams.
This is a new role on the North America team, so if you want to take it on, you must be ready to build up a network of funders and to have a major influence on the way we execute our long-term strategy. And while we expect you to come with an impressive track record, you will be joining a fast-growing nonprofit organization that offers unparalleled opportunities for development and growth.
- Work with the UK-based Senior Partnerships Manager to lead the day-to-day delivery of the Foundation’s partnerships and fundraising strategy
- Proactively develop a pipeline of new opportunities for partnerships, working with the CEO and team members across the organization to identify prospective partners and develop relationships that will lead to new collaborations
- Work with the events team to secure sponsorship for flagship events
- Support the leadership team as they develop new donor relationships to secure grants and donations
- Engage with the Foundation’s existing and prospective partners to build effective long-term relationships
- Work with Code Club, CoderDojo, and other program teams within the Foundation to develop and implement volunteering and engagement strategies for key partners
- Work with the global partnerships team to manage and maintain calendars and databases
- Prepare funding applications, proposals, presentations, and pitches as required
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that goals are being achieved, and report regularly on performance
Experience and personal attributes
You should be:
- Passionate about technology, education, or digital making, and familiar with the ecosystems and communities that surround these fields
- Experienced in working in an educational nonprofit organization or in corporate partnership management
- Comfortable with frequent travel within the United States and occasionally abroad
You should have:
- At least three years’ relevant experience of nonprofit development, fundraising, or of managing partner relationships
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of being highly adaptable, with the ability to interact with a wide range of people, and with strong skills in advocacy and networking
- Experience of preparing and presenting a compelling case for support in a variety of forms, in person as well as through written communications
- Practical knowledge of monitoring, reporting, and forecasting against plans and budgets
- Good organizational and administrative skills
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- Great healthcare plan (the Raspberry Pi Foundation covers 99% of the premium for full-time employees and 70% for their dependents)
- Generous paid time off policy (25 days of paid vacation per year in addition to sick days and public holidays)
- Retirement plan (401k, up to 5% employer match)
- Life insurance (basic and AD&D)
- Generous paid family and medical leave policy (up to 13 weeks per twelve-month period)
- Training and development
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Regular social outings
- Snacks, tea, coffee, and drinks in all our offices