Director of Digital Products
Director of Digital Products
Location: Cambridge; or remote with regular travel to Cambridge
Salary: £65,000 - £75,000 FTE
Basis: Permanent; full-time, part-time or flexible
Eligibility: You must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity working to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new knowledge and skills.
Through Code Club and CoderDojo, we support the world’s largest network of free informal computing clubs for young people. We are the digital skills partner to the Scouts and the National Citizen Service. Tens of thousands of educators have taken our online courses, and millions of people use our free online learning resources. In October 2018, the UK government announced that we were part of a consortium that was awarded £78.5m to train computing teachers in England.
We are at the forefront of the global movement to help young people learn about computing and digital making. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
We are looking for a Director of Digital Products to take responsibility for all aspects of the design, development, and maintenance of our digital products: the websites and services that deliver content, build community, engage and connect people all over the world around our mission.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will lead a team of 18 developers, product owners, UX designers and researchers, working collaboratively with colleagues and partners to deeply understand our users and create digital products that are engaging and delightful to use.
As a member of the senior leadership team, you will help shape the strategic direction, culture, and ways of working of the Foundation, helping to ensure that digital is at the heart of everything we do.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of leading teams to create digital products that are used by millions of people. Technically strong, you will be an accomplished software engineer in your own right, with the knowledge and skills to challenge and support product teams to take good decisions.
You will be skilled at agile ways of working and experienced at managing the interfaces between agile and non-agile teams. You will be user-focused and data-driven, with a track record of improving experience and outcomes through using insights and data effectively.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join the leadership of one of the most exciting non-profit organisations to emerge in the last decade. You’ll be joining an extraordinary team that cares about its mission, about the quality of our work, and for each other.
We strive to make the Foundation a place where talented people can do the best work of their careers. We have a flexible and collaborative approach to all aspects of our work. If you’re the right person for the job, we will make it work for you.
- Lead all aspects of the design, delivery, and maintenance of our digital products, helping millions of people all over the world engage with our mission.
- Champion our users and make sure that our digital product choices are based on user need and data.
- Lead the digital products team, consisting of developers, product owners, user researchers and interaction designers. Hire brilliant people and support them to do the best work of their careers.
- Establish effective ways of working within the digital product team and between the team and other parts of the business and partners.
- Ensure that our technological infrastructure is robust and secure, and that our websites and services are online and healthy.
- Establish and maintain systems and processes for ensuring quality across all of our digital products, including code reviews and testing.
- As a member of the leadership team, contribute to the strategy, culture, and ways of working on the Foundation.
Experience and personal attributes
- A background in software engineering with a significant track record of architecting and developing digital products that are used by large numbers of people.
- An experienced leader, able to inspire colleagues, members and partners to adopt new ways of working.
- Previous experience of leading an effective digital delivery team (e.g., developers, UX and product managers).
- Able to mentor, support and contribute to the personal and professional development of the digital team.
- Experience of managing remote teams.
- Significant experience in modern web technologies, CRM systems, and API-based architectures, with a proven track record in working with cloud-based solutions and hosting partners.
- Confident with agile ways of working and able to adapt that to work with diverse teams.
- In-depth experience of working with user experience teams to design user centred solutions.
- Experience of building compelling user journeys across a diverse range of digital products.
In addition, you might have some of the following:
- Experience of working in a non-profit and/or educational organisation.
- Experience of working in a fast growing organisation with international reach.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days’ annual leave
- Generous company pension scheme with 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance policy
- Investment in professional development and learning
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare or other commitments
- Generous family leave policy
- Cycle-to-work scheme and season ticket loan policy
- Regular organisation-wide maker days to improve your digital making skills
- Monthly all-staff meetings and socials
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee in all our offices
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 4 March 2019
Telephone Interviews: w/c 4 March 2019
Face-to-face interviews: First round 11 March 2019, second round 15 March 2019