Based: Cambridge, with occasional travel to other sites
Salary: £23 - 30k p.a.
Basis: permanent / fixed-term contract; full-time, part-time, or flexible
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation’s mission is to put the power of digital making into the hands of people all over the world. It’s a deliberately bold statement of our intent. Since launching our first product in February 2012, we have sold more than 14 million Raspberry Pi computers, and helped kickstart a global movement to get more people involved in computing and digital making. Our trading subsidiary is growing rapidly, and diversifying its product line as well as expanding its direct sales function. We have achieved a lot, and grown quickly, in a short space of time.
We have a clear and ambitious strategy for the next three years, and we now need to strengthen our internal operations, financial controls, and administrative capacity in order to deliver on it.
We are looking to recruit an Assistant Accountant who will work closely with the Financial Controller to carry out the day-to-day financial management of the Foundation’s trading subsidiary, Raspberry Pi (Trading) Limited. This is a varied role covering all aspects of managing the finances of a manufacturing company, including transactional work, management accountancy, stock control, and higher-level month-end reporting. This role will suit someone with the analytical skills and attention to detail needed to flourish in accountancy, who also has the communication skills required to effectively translate financial information to the wider organisation.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a unique place to work, with a fantastic team and positive work culture, so we are also looking for the right personality to fit in with this small but pivotal team within the organisation.
- Assist the Financial Controller in monitoring the overall financial health of the trading subsidiary, and performing the year-end audit analysis
- Run monthly management reports, including P&L, Balance Sheet, Budget Variances, and Cost Centre Analysis
- Monitor the financial health of the Foundation’s publishing business, and report separately on its performance
- Implement month-end closing procedures, including posting accruals and prepayments
- Propose and prepare weekly payment runs, post receipts
- Process and post all sales and purchase invoices, raise purchase orders as required, and ensure that appropriate authorisation is obtained before orders are placed
- Oversee the processing of all Trading credit card transactions
- Regularly monitor debtors and creditors, ensuring all customer receivables are up-to-date
- Prepare monthly ECSL VAT listings and quarterly VAT returns
- Support all staff to uphold financial policies and processes
- Maintain monthly sales, costs, gross margin, and inventory schedules for the trading subsidiary, and monitor trends
- Receipt stock as it arrives in the warehouses, and ensure that complete records of delivery notes are maintained for audit purposes
- Ensure that the necessary accounting entries are made in the inventory management system, and in Xero, to reflect the incoming stock and the trade creditor
- Liaise with staff in remote warehouses to ensure that monthly stock counts are conducted and that any differences are investigated and reconciled
- Work alongside the sales team to ensure that sales orders are fulfilled promptly and that customers are invoiced correctly
Experience and personal attributes
You must be:
- A Part ACCA/ACA/CIMA Qualified Accountant, or qualified by experience
- Experienced in creating management accounts, P&L reports, and Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Knowledgeable about how Bills of Material translate into costs of goods, and how sales and stock movements translate into journal entries
- Able to thrive working in a fast-paced environment, excellent at organising and prioritising work, and meticulous in your attention to detail
- Highly proficient in MS Excel including using formulae and pivot tables
- Competent and efficient in all other aspects of an electronic office environment
- Exceptionally skilled in communication, particularly being able to explain financial issues and processes to non-financial people across the organisation
You will ideally have experience of:
- Working in the finance department of a manufacturing company
- Xero accounting software
- Working with remote teams
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of additional benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days annual leave, plus public holidays
- Flexible working arrangements
- Pension with 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance
- Good support for working parents, including family leave policy
- Cycle to work, season ticket loan, and childcare voucher schemes
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 0900h on 16 August
Face-to-face interviews: w/c 21 August
* Please apply even if you are not available for interview during that week - and let us know in your cover letter - as alternative arrangements can be made for the right candidate.