Senior UX/UI Designer
Senior UX/UI Designer
Location: Cambridge, UK; or remote, UK or Ireland
Salary: £35,500 – £42,000, dependent on experience
Basis: permanent; full-time, part-time or flexible
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity that works to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new skills.
In October 2015 we merged with Code Club, followed in May 2017 by a second merger with the CoderDojo Foundation. Together we now represent one of the largest sustained global efforts to help young people learn about computing and digital making. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
Our digital products are used by millions of people all over the world. As part of our ambitious plans to expand our reach and impact, we are now looking to appoint a Senior UX/UI Designer to our team.
You will work collaboratively as part of a team of product owners, developers, and designers to create digital products that have a positive impact on the lives of young learners. You’ll need to have experience of delivering user-centred experiences for digital products, with an appetite to learn what you don’t know, and a commitment to making a difference to our users. You’ll join an Agile development team that works in Cambridge and remotely around the UK. We use collaboration tools such as GitHub, Marvel, Abstract, and Slack to communicate effectively.
We strive to make the Foundation a place where talented people who care about our mission can do the best work of their careers. We have a flexible and collaborative approach to all aspects of our work. If you’re the right person for the job, we’ll make it work for you, and you can be confident that you’ll be working with an exceptional team.
- Design experiences for digital products across the Raspberry Pi Foundation, with a focus on creating valuable learning experiences in computing, computer science, and digital making
- Collaboratively deliver high-quality products with measurable impact, as part of a cross-functional team
- Conduct usability testing and ongoing user research in order to generate appropriate artefacts such as personas, user flows, storyboards, and usability reports
- Work closely with product owners and key stakeholders across the Raspberry Pi Foundation to understand requirements and context of use
- Clearly communicate ideas to stakeholders through wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Advocate a user-centred approach to designing and building digital products
- Coach and mentor other members of the team
- Find ways to improve our design processes and further our understanding of users
Experience and personal attributes
You should have:
- Demonstrable experience of working as a professional UX and/or UI designer
- Empathy, a pragmatic attitude, and the ability to see the bigger picture
- An understanding of Information Architecture and the ability to effectively structure content
- Experience of working in an Agile team
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate your thinking
- Experience of working with developers, product managers, and a wide range of stakeholders
We welcome applicants with:
- Experience or an understanding of GDS design principles and standards
- An interest in education, especially around computer science, physical computing, and digital making
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days’ annual leave
- Generous company pension scheme with 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance policy
- Investment in professional development and learning
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare or other commitments
- Generous family leave policy
- Cycle-to-work scheme and season ticket loan policy
- Regular organisation-wide maker days to improve your digital making skills
- Monthly all-staff meetings and socials
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee, drinks in all our offices
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 21 June 2019
Phone interviews: w/c 24 June 2019Face-to-face interviews: w/c 1 July 2019