Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: £35,500 – £40,000
Basis: permanent; full-time, part-time or flexible (minimum 3 days per week)
Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity that works to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new skills. You can read more about our mission, values, and goals in our 2018–2020 strategy.
In 2019, the Foundation is planning to spend around £10m on its charitable activities. The vast majority of that expenditure is on people or employment costs. We work on the ground in the UK, Ireland, USA, and India, and we have partnerships with non-profits in 38 other countries.
The Foundation has a mixed funding model, with income coming from gift aid from the Foundation’s wholly owned trading subsidiary; contracted income from governments and their agencies; sponsorship from corporate and other partners; and gifts, grants, and donations from organisations and individuals.
We are looking to recruit a fully qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) who will work closely with the Financial Controller to carry out the day-to-day financial management of the four entities within the Foundation’s group. This is a varied role covering all aspects of managing the finances of the Foundation, including our foreign subsidiaries. The role will include transactional work, management accountancy and higher-level reporting at month end.
This role will suit someone with strong analytical skills and attention to detail who also has the communication skills required to effectively translate financial information to the wider organisation.
You will be joining a fast-growing non-profit organisation that offers unparalleled opportunities for development and growth. We pride ourselves on being a brilliant place to work, with a fantastic team and positive work culture.
- Assist the Financial Controller in producing month-end management accounts for all three charitable entities, and produce any bespoke reports required by the Board
- Run monthly Budget Variance reports, and assist in producing commentaries
- Prepare intercompany and other Balance Sheet reconciliations as required
- Provide oversight to, and correct where necessary, day-to-day transactional accounting in all entities, including preparation of the weekly payment run, bank reconciliations, and credit card postings
- Review expense claims and purchase invoices for accuracy of coding and VAT
- Provide day-to-day financial support for the Irish and North American entities, including all transactional processing as required
- Provide support to both Assistant Accountants as and when required, and develop cross-competency so that cover of other accountants’ roles can be provided
- Monitor trade debtors, ensuring all customer receivables are up-to-date
- Gain an overview of the grants and assist in the production of supporting schedules as required by grantors
- Support all staff to uphold financial policies and processes
You must have:
- A current accountancy qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- Experience with creating management accounts, P&L reports, and Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Knowledge of the accounting challenges facing a charity
- The ability to thrive while working in a fast-paced environment thanks to being excellent at organising and prioritising your work, and meticulous in your attention to detail
- Proficiency with MS Excel, including using formulae and pivot tables
- Effective communications skills, particularly the ability to produce well-written commentaries and coherent supporting documentation when required
You will also ideally have experience of:
- Working in the finance department of a charity
- Using Xero accounting software
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of additional benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- 25 days’ annual leave
- Generous company pension scheme with 8% employer and 4% employee contributions
- Life assurance and long-term illness insurance policy
- Professional development for all employees
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around family
- Generous parental leave policy
- Bike-to-work scheme and season ticket loan policy
- Monthly company maker days to improve your digital making skills
- Monthly all-staff meetings and socials
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee, drinks in all our offices
Timetable for applications
Closing date: 17:00 BST, Friday 23 August 2019
Face-to-face interviews: Week commencing 3 September 2019